Wednesday 25 June 2008

Top Tips for Expat Transitions

Every once in a while I find a link to something I think every expat should read. Lately my focus has been drawn to those articles containing tips for making an easier expat transition and/or validating points relating to what the transitional period can be/is like. There is just so much out there, it's incredible, and you can go nuts sorting through it all, so I try and do a bit at a time. Find one good site and you'll find another 20 links to sort through. I take the best and place them on my links list over on the left hand side.

One excellent resource is: "
Val's Top 10 Tips for Expat Transitions"

Two common themes in many things I am reading lately are the 1) phases of adjustment and 2) re-invention of self [I'd rather call it that than loss of identity]. Surprisingly, of all the moves abroad I have done over the past few years, I've not spent much time, outside of expat forums, looking into resources for expats. Coming back to Australia, though, I felt a real need, especially due to the fact that I disliked it so much last time around. This time I knew I had to put some elbow grease into the adjustment, so to speak.

Coming upon descriptions of both the expat adjustment phases, as well as issues relating to re-invention of self, has been enormously self-validating. I recognise myself in so much of what I read. Occasionally I don't recognise myself, which is, I've learned, due to the fact that I am going through a bit of a re-invention process. Life has changed to much that I can't expect myself not to change. Resistance to change would keep any expat from making it through the phases of adjustment to the other side;)


Part of my adjustment includes getting out there and doing stuff...any stuff!

I have a new list of things to do/places I want to go:
  • Horus Egyptian Cafe & Shisha House
  • Plan a day out for Steve & I on our 1 year anniversary! We're thinking of doing something around the Murray River area, but I have no idea where to begin, to be honest
  • Attend an event hosted by the Australian American Association (maybe the 5th of July picnic)
  • A meal at My Tho Vietnamese restaurant and one at The Himalayan (Can you tell I like to eat out?)
  • Beer tasting at the Cooper's Brewery and (depsite warnings against Port Adelaide) a trip to The Port Dock Brewery Hotel
  • Still need a sighseeting day out in the city centre (have gotten some shopping in) but am wondering if that may get postponed until my mom visits
  • Er, still have not made it to yoga

2 comments:

Kitty said...

why on earth have you been warned about port adelaide?

Suzer said...

who knows, some people seem to think it's rough there, but it looks a bit up and coming to me.