Wednesday 11 June 2008

You Know You're Being Assimilated When

...it's no longer comfortable on your tongue to say aitch. H is now pronounced by yours truly as haitch. I make a rule of not changing my speech to suit Australian English but as I work at a company for which the name is an acronym beginning with H. I figure I may as well answer the phone with speech which the locals are familiar with and understand, as that's simply professional, but I do not say zed at home (for Z), or pronounce aluminum aluminium. I just hope this isn't one of many pronunciation changes to come:/

P.S. Check out my new blog, if you have a moment---link is on the left hand side. I've decided to start up my own business-to-be, if things go well.

2 comments:

Laura said...

That's so funny-- I haven't started saying any Australian lingo things-- like no worries-- it's just not for me. But I do love the word brekkie and I like saying Haitch!

Suzer said...

Yeah I could never comfortably say Oz or Aussie before...but I'm getting there;)