Monday, 27 November 2006

Something to balance off the vent


We had a great turkey day meal yesterday, minus the turkey;) Turkey was sold out at the grocery store, so we bought a pre-seasoned chicken in a bag for £2.99 (you actually cook it in the bag and it turned out perfect, tender and juicy). Made green been casserole for the first time, which I loved. Couldn't make any pie, as I don't do my own crusts and both fellas I asked at the grocery store looked at me like I had two heads when I asked where pie crusts were (they literally didn't understand what I meant). Don't know if they have this in the States, but we got a bottle of Bailey's with mint...yum...had a nice Bailey's (instant) coffee with the package lemon meringue pie we bought in place of the oatmeal pie I was going to bake, which was surprisingly tasty.

Unrelated, but here is an interesting article I found on New Zealand.

6 comments:

Muddiah said...

Perhaps when you're home for the winter I'll have to teach you how to make a pie crust. Not really all that difficult. As for green bean casserole are you talking about the one with cream soup and french fried onions? Ummm, Bailey's with mint. Will have to look for that one!

Suzer said...

Yep, that's the one I mean. How come we never had that---it sounds like it's a standard turkey day side...

It comes with caramel as well now, although I do fancy the mint.

I'm sure I could easily follow directions for a pie crust, but why bother if I can buy one.

Muddiah said...

Because nothing, and I mean nothing, beats a good home-made pie crust!!

As for the green bean casserole with cream soup and french-fried onion rings: salt, more salt, and lots of fat :-)) Actually I always find it too salty for my taste.

Suzer said...

I told Steve we probably never had it bc you'd think it was unhealthy;)

steveg said...

Okaaaay

I think the problem may lay in that you asked for pie "crusts" - in the UK that either means the top of a pie or the bit around the edge which has no filling - what you wanted was a pie "Base" which supermarkets do sell.

Hope this helps you in future

Steve

Suzer said...

Ah, well too late now. Regardless, I would have found it in the baking section (once I found the baking section!) if they'd had it, as I have bought them before at Morrison's.