Tuesday 17 February 2009

I Don't Belong Here Anymore


Of all the travelling and living abroad I've done over the past few years, this is my first time home that I feel like I've changed to the point where I really don't fit in here anymore. Aside from turning the windshield wipers on when I intend to signal a turn, I can tell I've changed, a lot. There is an anonymity with people here, a distance, that I used to appreciate. Now it just makes me feel like people don't care about each other. People here seem to have a little bubble around them, aside from the immigrants, who I feel more of a connection with, even at the fast food places and shopping centers. Genuine friendliness is few and far between. I'm a walking novelty, as everyone wants to talk to me about the bushfires and anything else Australian (or Kiwi, as it's close enough right). I don't think I could ever live here again, yet at the same time, I'm still learning to live in Oz and don't fully fit in there yet. Oh well, at least I had some proper nachos today;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG... those nachos look so good. :) That's all i can even think to say right now... oh, except that I turned the windshield wiper on when I went home too.

Unknown said...

Oh boy! Can I relate!

A Free Man said...

I know exactly what you mean, every time I go back it feels less and less like home.

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

As everyone has already said, I agree totally.

Oh, I don't bother buying nachos down here, just make em myself so I can PILE the goodies on --like nachos should be :)