Monday 15 June 2009

Getting Ready for the 4th of July

So I'm hopefully having a couple of guests over for the 4th of July, which is the Yank Australia Day, for those of you who don't know it. It won't be warm, and there won't be any fireworks, but at least I won't have to listen to any hillbilly music either. The baked beans and pineapple cake covered in coconut pecan frosting will be on the menu, as will ribs, hamburgers, hot dogs and potato salad. Absolute bummer of it is that I can't eat the ribs, nor will I ever be able to eat ribs again, unless they are the kind that fall of the bone, which is one of the most gutting things about my recent tooth injury:( Guess I'll have to learn how to cook them that way!

9 comments:

Muddiah said...

All you need now are the hot dogs, corn on the cob, watermelon, and potato salad!

Arizaphale said...

Well now. I can see you have been to the American Supermarket Shop (or whatever it's called). Can't wait to see what you make with all this....

Suzer said...

USA Foods is what it's called:) No more corn on the cob for this woman, ever, unfortunately:( I will however be making ribs, for my guests...I can't eat those anymore either!

Diane said...

You can get creamed corn - don't know what it tastes like though! Have a good 4th July anyway.

staranela said...

You can cut fresh corn off the cob and fry it with butter and herbs, won't miss the cob! Tell me more about the pineapple cake, is the coconut frosting like what you'd put on German choc cake?

Suzer said...

Sounds good but also sounds like more work! Yep that's the frosting.

A Free Man said...

I can make you some ribs that will fall off the bone.

Suzer said...

I may need to get your recipe, or better yet, when we finally get our porch done and the weather warms up, and I can invite (a decent amount of) people over for a proper bbq etc....

Muddiah said...

Cutting the corn off the cob is a breeze and you don't get it all up in between your teeth. The taste is still good and that's what it's all about! Come to think of it, I bet there's a kitchen gadget just for that purpose. I'm off on a hunt! :)