Saturday 15 August 2009

It Won't Be Long Now

Nothing could have made me happier than to see that sing outside of Kmart that read "Kmart hours now, Monday to Friday, 8am to 9pm". Either this is a new thing, or I haven't been paying attention, but I am overjoyed to know that (aside from Thursday nights in the suburbs and Friday night in the city), there is more open after 5pm that just Bunnings and the supermarket. I've never been much for the blue light special, but pickers can't be choosers in Australia. I hope this means Target and Big W will be soon to follow, then the entire shopping centre, and in years to come, all businesses in Oz.

4 comments:

A Free Man said...

You know, I kind of like the shops closing early. I don't want to go to the American style 24 hour consumerism. I can't think of a thing that I need at 2 in the morning that can't wait til the next morning.

Suzer said...

But...don't you have 1 or 2 weekdays off;) Coming home from work, needing to get something, and finding out you can't, is a pain in the arse!

Laureen said...

I also really like that the shops close early - it makes Adelaide seem kind of exotic. (!). However, I also have time off in the day to do my shopping; I probably wouldn't be such a fan of early closing if I didn't.

P.S. When you're home during the day, the goods come to you as well - I just bought olives and broccoli from a woman selling her farm goods door to door!

Muddiah said...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090814/ap_on_re_eu/eu_france_sunday_opening_2

Check it out...it's a movement.