Wednesday 2 November 2005

Halloween

Happy belated Halloween/Samhain/Day of the Dead. Halloween is seen as an American holiday here that is slowly creaping in, despite the fact that it was originally a pagan holiday which began in the UK. The landlady doesn’t do halloween—one of the people here who has a dislike for it, so I was home alone last night with no candy. The doorbell only rang twice and the first time, I had forgotten the holiday and went to the door not sure who it would be. As I only have keys for the back door, I had to quickly run and get them, along with my last packet of oreo cookies, which I handed to the father of three little ones, saying “how about some american cookies to share between you”, letting them know the lady of the house wasn’t in, hence the delay. The response from the dad when he saw what they were was a big “Brilliant!!! Tell the nice lady thank you.” Good stuff.

1 comment:

Suzer said...

Never mind a proper point of reference - sorry, didn’t really mean that - but what I meant is that you should go anyway as this is possibly the most beautiful countryside in the whole of England - you cannot possibly allow yourself to miss this, it is Paula’s favourite place bar none - Might be an idea to wait until Spring and the nicer weather though.

Commented by steveg on November 1, 2005 at 10:01 am

Yep, I don’t think I’ll even be able to consider too many trips until I’ve finished this semester and gotten it all together as far as time management and report writing go. So much for better work-life balance!

Commented by Suzer on November 1, 2005 at 10:07 am