Wednesday 2 November 2005

Wordsworth

So, I’ve finally been able to tie my first degree to my second;) Not that I was ever hugely interested in Wordsworth, but it seems he had quite a huge impact on tourism. With his writings on the English Lake District, he created an interest in tourism. His writings could be considered as the first tourist brochures for the area. As a result, the Lake District became a very popular tourist destination for the English, with people going for long holidays of up to a fortnight stay. When this occurred, he took a bit of a double take, and became part of the first conservation movement, writing to newspapers as well as Parliament, appealing for sustainability in the region by requesting that the railways be kept from entering the Lake District. It worked:) Seems I’ll have to visit this area at some point in order to get a proper reference;)

No comments: