Thursday 3 April 2008

We're here!

After being awake for almost 20 hours, my mind is still buzzing too much to sleep. You see, I moved countries today, yet again. This time the move is permanent and final, though. Steve and I left New Zealand very early this morning, after having to fork over $70 in excess luggage fees (negotiated down from $110) and being randomly held up by security for a bag search. For once, we actually needed the entire two hours at the airport. One thing I won't miss about New Zealand is the customer service, but I'm already slightly homesick for the greenery and waterfront. On the other hand, I had no idea how good this house would look when we got back. Amazing how the survival instinct can kick in to allow one to survive nine months of living in a hostel. You have no idea how much you simply hate it until you have something so much better. Steve's family was kind enough to clean up the cobwebs before we arrived, which made such a huge difference coming into the house. We spent our first day here getting a bank account for me, mobile numbers, library cards for internet access, and grocery shopping, in addition to unpacking. Tomorrow we're off to get my Australian driver's license and do some job hunting online, as well as a bit more house cleaning. It seems we have a mouse who's been pooping all over the pantry:( He or she even had a go at eating my winter hat! (which wasn't in the pantry by the way) I may be investing in Tupperware after all, although I think the house traps will do the job;) Steve is crashed out asleep now and I've been wandering the house unpacking and organising a bit more, making up the spare beds, and just having a quiet look around. This house, although in need of some love, is really fantastic. The four bedrooms are all fairly large and I can't wait to get a proper guest room and office for myself set up. So much to do, but lots of time now. The neighbors are interesting---one came into our yard and cut a tree down when we were gone, which was near the property line (leaving the entire tree behind on the lawn) and the other came over as soon as we pulled up with a fence quote. Yay:/ Seems fence guy split up with his wife and we're guessing is fixing the house up to move. We have a lot to fix up before a fence. Ah what fun it is to be a foreigner and learn and new laws, like having to share the cost of a fence with the neighbors...

2 comments:

Muddiah said...

All in all sounds like it's very good to be home in your own house.
Even though I'm your mom, you still manage to amaze me with your
incredible energy and efficiency in getting things accomplished in a small amount of time. :-) Can't wait to see this fantastic house!

Suzer said...

It's very very good to be in our own place;) Well, I guess 'needs must' as they say...there's a lot to do. See you in October!