First off, I think that's the first time I've comfortably used the word Aussie. I've been tagged. Normally, I ignore these things (so if you are one of those people who sends me forwards, please please take me off your list. I'd much rather have a personal quick email from ya'll once in a while). Anyway, this one sounded fairly decent and my narcissistic self, who assumes you all love hearing about me as much as I do, thought it was worth doing;)
1. Some of my favourite Australian foods are kangaroo and beef sausages. I can almost bear the fact that proper bratwurst is almost impossible to find unless you go to a specialty shop. I would eat kangaroo over steak any day; it's much more tasty and lean. Oh, and let's not forget Vegemite. There is nothing like discovering entirely new foods in your new country.
2. One thing I hate about Australia is the racism. I could just be picking up on more racism because for the first time in a loooong time, I am primarily around white people, so I don't mean to stereotype and I know all Australians aren't racist, but the compulsion to speak down about Aboriginal people and people of certain ethnic origins (for example, Italians) drives me batty.
3. I like being an expat. I truly feel that if I were to move back to the US permanently, I might just wither up and die....of boredom;)
4. I miss my cat more than anything back home (sorry friends and family but I feel more guilty about leaving him than you...and I can't email or phone him up, and he's been sick lots since I left.)
5. I get really annoyed that my friends don't post comments on my blog, especially the ones back home (there, I said it. Don't be offended but I'm far far away and I need to hear from you guys more often!!)
6. I've been really really lucky in that in the short space of time I've been here in Australia I've met some great quality people, and while I miss catching up with my friends back home, I'm not lonely here.
Here are the rules: Link to the person who tagged you. Post the rules on your blog. Write six random things about yourself. Tag six people at the end of your post linking to their blog. Let each person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog. Let the tagger know when your entry is up. I tag Alaskan Dave, Joyces, Culinary Princess...er, I don't have six people--my mates don't blog much, but I'll work on it. I'll copy what Danie has said with a slight variation--I've picked expats from different countries with hopes that they'll do the expat version of this as well.