Thursday 15 January 2009

60 Years of Australian Citizenship

2009 marks the 60th year of Australian citizenship. This may well surprise you, unless you are up on your Australian history, but up until 1949, Australian citizenship did not exist and those living in Australian were British subjects. According to the Australian government:

“Before 26 January 1949, the status of Australian citizen did not exist, and people born in Australia were British subjects. The legal concept of Australian citizen was created on 26 January 1949 with the enactment of the Nationality and Citizenship Act 1948,…”

I’m not entirely sure what we’ll be doing for Australia day this year but I assume it will include some form of bbq, beer and fireworks.

3 comments:

EAS Loomis said...

Like the expat life? I am learning to and thought you might enjoy my blog www.toeinthethames.blogspot.com.

Thank you in advance for taking a look and letting me know what you think!

LIZ LOOMIS

Muddiah said...

I've noticed that some blogs have ads on them. Is this a way to make your blog not only informative, but profitable?

To Liz Loomis:

Was touched by your story about Fang.

Suzer said...

And tacky imo Mom;)