Friday 7 November 2008

Expats for Obama

I hope Obama remembers us. He did mention, in his acceptance speech, people overseas, although I think he was referring to other cultures, not expats. Over the past few days, I have spoken to and read blogs by other expats who express the same sentiments. We're proud, we're more patriotic than we ever were as residents of the US, and we can finally hold our heads up high again. We no longer feel (even if we were patriotic before) that we have to defend our country against negative comments that may have some basis in truth...we can refer to America as a great and wonderful country again...because things are changing for the better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree. I think a lot of people (barring our families and best friends) forget about us living somewhere else.
I wouldn't say living overseas has made me more patriotic, but it's given an unexpected nuance to my patriotism. I'm less nationalistic now, but love my country because it's my country. Living overseas has helped me realize that most everyone loves their homeland, and I think that's a good perspective to have-- and one that Obama has-- which I think will help immensely with international relations.