Thursday 6 November 2008

Linus in the Pumpkin Patch





I love holiday cartoons. I have all of the Peanuts specials and as many Christmas cartoons and movies as you can think of. 'It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown' is one of my favourites; I watched it when I was carving the Halloween pumpkin, and played it for the kids when we had our Halloween party last weekend. I love Linus' tenacity and belief in the Great Pumpkin, although I can understand how cheated Sally feels at the end when she realises she has missed out on trick-or-treats and parties while sitting waiting for something that didn't even happen. I felt like Sally in the pumpkin patch while I was watching the rally in Grant Park last night. Here I am in little old Adelaide, not loving it as much at the moment, most likely because I'm not working and am not sure where my career will take me next, not having had much luck with temp work over the past few weeks, and there is the next President of the US, Barack Obama, in my hometown...and if I wasn't sitting here doing nothing, I'd be in that crowd. I do like Adelaide but so far, I haven't found it to have the spirit or vibrancy of where I am from, or anywhere else I have lived in the past few years. I'd rather have my husband than a vibrant place to live and an empty house to come home to, but there are some times, more than others, when the sacrifice hits me hard.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the Peanuts specials, too! I can't believe another November will come and go and I still haven't seen Snoopy have a smackdown with a lawn chair.
I totally understand your emotions at the moment. Assimilation is a slow roller coaster. I still have days I love it here and then a week later I hate it. But I'm with you-- I wouldn't trade love for any city in the world!

Erin Maggie said...

I share your sentiment.

I moved to Australia for love as well. I'd move back in the states in a hearbeat, but like you, I wouldn't trade the love for location. I'm just looking forward to the day when I can both, the great Aussie husband and America! Until then I make the best life I can here, which is what it looks like you are doing!

I'm glad to find another expat blogger who's proud Obama won! The future is looking bright!