Saturday 13 October 2007

The F Word

Who cares about Al Gore; Doris Lessing won the Nobel Peace Prize for Literature. I wonder what she would think of the end of the car race I watched last weekend. Although I think car racing is a bit dull in itself, my only real issue with it is the way the industry objectifies women, and the fact that many of the men who are so into this sport, think nothing of it. Two examples--- 1) at the end of the race, there were two young women, who looked as if they were dressed up as cheerleaders, standing behind the winners/anouncers and...oh wait, they were just standing there, barely dressed and shivering in the cold. I asked Steve what they were doing, what they were there for. Nothing, he said. So, I said, they're just there to stand and look pretty...they don't really exist? You're not offended by that? 2) On these car formus he's on, many members have as avatars half-naked women, two half-naked women in bed together, etc. I think the car racing industry and those who support it should be ashamed of themselves, but of course, they would allo say "It's no big deal. What are you, a feminist? Typical woman, over-reacting..."

3 comments:

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

Mt Panorama was a good one this year, it's the only car race I watch.

Car and motorcycle races are not the only ones that uses Bimbonic Babes Sans Brains. Bicycle racing and bicycle trade shows do the same thing.

Suzer said...

Gee you'd think those bike riders would be a bit more civilised;)

Suzer said...

Hey wait a second...

I'm not sure it's correct to make assumptions about the womens' intelligence...based on...?