Tuesday 15 January 2008

Gold coins only

There is an ad in the staff kitchen today for the Heart Foundation, which is having its annual 'pick yer pocket' week in February (the week of V day to be precise). Having worked in non-profit for many years, I never give money to charity, hence my annoyance at the fact that I am solicited more on Auckland streets for charity than I was back in Chicago by the homeless (this held true in the UK as well). The thing that strikes me Down Under (noticed this in Australia also), is that they specify 'gold coins donations', which for those of you not familiar with the currency down here, means $1 and $2 coins only...no 10, 20 or 50 cent pieces wanted. You would think they would take every cent they would could get, rather than be fussy about coinage:/

No comments: