Thursday 26 January 2006

Grocery Store Moments

I love grocery shopping in other countries. Normally, I detest food shopping…it always makes me far too aware of being single. I can cook, but I’m lazy, and there’s nothing worse than unloading the basket at the check out with tv dinners and pizzas…evidence of my bachelorette status. Every couple of weeks (or more realistically once a month), I actually buy things I can put together to make a decent meal with. Today I make chicken and brown rice baked in cream of mushroom soup. The soup was too watery, I cooked it too long, and it turned out awful. But, the veg on the side (you can buy these lovely little bags of stuff like broccoli, carrots and brussels sprouts…enough for 2 servings) and a spinach salad with pine nuts, sesame sead oil and rice vinegar….yum. Embarressed to admit it, but as I totally dig the desserts they sell in the bakery here (to die for!), I came home with 2 choc eclairs (filled with fresh cream), a cadbury dairy milk bar (the cadbury at home is shite compared to what they have here) and this little rocky road confection…I have eaten them all in the last 3 hours or so! Perhaps it is getting over this cold, or eating nothing but soup the last few days, but my appetite has gone off the charts the past day or so. I am a horrendous grocery shopper, financially, but I’m getting better. Ooh, you know what else they sell here…pieces of meat for one (hmmm, that doesn’t sound appetizing…could even sound rude haha!)…like one chicken breast, etc, which you can even get seasoned. Also, picked up a couple of cans of tuna. This should be interesting…one was tuna in mayonnaise with peppers and sweetcorn and the other, tuna with mayonnaise and sun dried tomatoes. And….that is to-may-toes, not to-mah-toes. Crazy Brits…bastardizing the American language;)

1 comment:

Suzer said...

Ummm, I think you have it backwards. Shouldn’t it be crazy Americans bastardizing the British language??? Even though I am an American, that’s basic history 101!! BTW the tuna in cans with “stuff” in it sounds awful to me.

Commented by muddiah on January 25, 2006 at 7:48 pm

yeah, it was sarcasm my dear;) that’s what they always say to us americans.

Commented by Suzer on January 25, 2006 at 9:42 pm

oops! guess you have to be there to know what’s what:)

Commented by muddiah on January 25, 2006 at 10:29 pm

“Crazy Brits…bastardizing the American language;)”

Ummmm, wouldn’t that be “Crazy Brits…BASTARDISING the American language” (with an “S” not a “Z”)

hehehehe

Steve

Commented by steveg on January 26, 2006 at 9:58 am

ugh, you know that s and z thing so screwed me up in my papers this semester, especially Internationalisation and Globalization. The s makes no sense whatsoever, as it is a z sound. Don’t you all know about phonics!!!

Commented by Suzer on January 26, 2006 at 11:46 am

They dont spell it with a Z in the UK? Here, either spelling is correct. Thats interesting: I would have thought the British spelling would have been with the z

Tuna salad in a can? Was it good? sounds like something I would buy for those nights I dont feel like cooking.

Commented by kivadiva on January 26, 2006 at 7:15 pm