Wednesday, 1 February 2006

Bratwurst!

I found Bratwurst at the Morrison's near uni. Was about $3 for a package of four, fresh not frozen...imported from Germany. Tonight, I'm going to cook brats in beer and onions. Quite excited:) For anyone who would like to know how to make this, it's very easy. Saute the onions in butter until clear, then add brats and brown, next add a bottle of beer (dark is better) and simmer for about 20-30 minutes. You can then take out the brats and onions, put it in a warm oven while further reducing the beer for a sauce. Either serve in buns/baps or plain. Good with dijon or hot dog mustard.

Went to a classmate's flat last night for dinner. One of our other classmates cooked for us....pasta with a white sauce and smoked salmon. First, he cooked the salmon in a pan wth creme fresh (similar to sour cream) and grated parmesan. This was added to the cooked pasta. Simple and yum.

8 comments:

Muddiah said...

I'm noticing how much of your recent posting is about food, and find this somewhat fascinating.And,
does this mean that I'm about to be "served" when you come by for a visit in April:)?

Suzer said...

Uh-oh:( Man, I am coming 4,000 miles home, for the first time in what 7 months, and you want me to cook for you?! Sheesh. Ok, ok, I'll make a meal or two if you make a cheesecake!

Fascinating? Hey, I'm sure it is the combo of the new fridge and being over the cold;) Btw, the kitchen smells great for once. The brats were awesome.

Muddiah said...

It's a deal!

Suzer said...

with canned cherries in syrup?

Muddiah said...

What's with the canned cherries? Is that something new on your list? You always wanted fresh fruit.

Suzer said...

Actually, I've always been a fan of canned cherries:)

steveg said...

As I recall also cherries in Kirsch too!

(still got some if you are interested?)

Steve

Suzer said...

for sure. another good cherry product...kriek lambic. another reason to go to belgium;)